Angela's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

442036
May 05, 12

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from May 01 to 04, 2012

It's a new year at Hogwarts, and more weird stuff is happening. Harry is visited by a masochistic house elf, then he's unable to access platform 9-3/4, and then he hears voices at school that no one else can hear. His second year is looking to be pretty strange indeed.

Even now, we're starting to see Harry being a little less awkward and a little more sure of his wizarding ancestry. Sure, he's not a perfect student (that's still Hermione's job), but he's coming to understand himself a little better—even if there's so much still to learn. You're still young, Harry. Don't you fret.

I'm giving this only three stars because I felt the action could have started a little earlier in the book. There's a lot of "weird stuff" happening, and the new professor is being an imbecile, and it's a lot of those same themes for a good portion of the book. When everything ties together it's great, and the conclusion is exciting and fun, but waiting for something to happen took up a good chunk of the middle.

But with any series, the stuff in the middle is important. We may not know how much so right now, and it may not come to light for another several books, but there's something hidden within the text that makes us keep on reading and wanting to further explore Harry's world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.