Danielle's Reviews > When in Doubt, Add Butter

When in Doubt, Add Butter by Beth Harbison

Jun 04, 12

bookshelves: early-reviewer, romance
Read from May 28 to June 04, 2012

I REALLY enjoyed this novel. I don't know how it even has less than a 4 star rating because in my opinion, this book hit the nail on the head for a novel in the chick-lit genre.

Gemma Craig is a private chef who cooks for a different family every day of the week. On Mondays, she has to contend with Angela, the demanding has-been tv star who is absolutely allergic to everything; to Mr. Tuesday, the man who is funny and leaves Gemma witty notes yet has never been seen in person; to Wednesdays with Lex, a flamboyant department store owner; to Thursdays with the Oleksei family, a crazy family who may or may not have ties to the Russian mob; and finally to Fridays with Willa, Lex's extremely obese cousin. Through it all, Gemma must find how to make her personal life and personal finances work while catering to the needs of all her employers.

What I Liked: Gemma's character was very down to earth and she is someone that readers can relate to. She's had lots of ups and downs in her life. And at the ripe age of 38, still single and with no family of her own, she realizes that there has to be some changes in here love life. Gemma's romance with Mack was not believable but it's always sweet to read about what could potentially happen if we lived in an ideal world. I most especially enjoyed her interactions with Lex, Penny, Vlad and most definitely with Willa, Lex's obese cousin who was a very endearing and likable character. And honestly, I'll take a man like Mack any day of the week ^_^

What I Didn't Like: I didn't like the way the romance between Gemma and Mack played out because I thought it was unrealistic. Other than that, I book was awesome and I read it all in 2 days!

Great Chick-Lit novel. It's a lighthearted read with a solid uplifting outcome that will leave readers feeling happy and contented.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When in Doubt, Add Butter.