Marsha's Reviews > Everything I Ate: A Year in the Life of My Mouth

Everything I Ate by Tucker Shaw

May 01, 12

bookshelves: arts, cooking-food-wine, journal-epistolary, memoir, non-fiction, owned-books
Read in February, 2010 — I own a copy

Tucker Shaw did something extraordinary: he decided to record everything he ate for an entire year. Day by day, hour by hour, he uploaded all his comestibles via a small handheld Elph camera and the results are truly absorbing and sometimes funny to boot. He doesn’t just show meals but the occasional lozenge, candy bar, midnight snack, free samples, etc.—in short, everything and anything that he put in his mouth for consumption.

In a society in which we often snatch meals on the run without pausing to reflect or even look at what we’re cramming down our gullets, Mr. Shaw’s 365-day visual diary is captivating, showing an utter devotion to food—or someone with a lot of time on his hands. A pictorial odyssey, placed without censorship or concern about veganism and utterly absorbing, you might find yourself slowing down and perusing what it is you’re eating or simply flipping to your birth date in order to find out what meal Mr. Tucker was having on that day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything I Ate.