G. A. Dietrich's Reviews > A Commentary on the Psalms, Psalms 1-41: Volume 1

A Commentary on the Psalms, Psalms 1-41 by Allen P. Ross

May 01, 12

Read in April, 2012

Ask any Bible teacher out there what the best commentaries on the Psalms are and it is likely you are going to stump them. It isn’t as though there aren’t plenty of commentaries available, it is just that most of them are not always all that helpful or all that exegetically conscience. Now that doesn’t mean there are not exceptions to this generalization, however, it does seem to be the norm.

Enter in Allen P. Ross’ A Commentary on the Psalms: Volume 1 (1-41). In a lot of ways Ross’ work is much more than a commentary. Of the 928 pages in the book nearly 20% of this volume is made of introductory matters. These pages do not detract from the book, however, give it a great introduction! The topics Ross covers include:

The Value of the Psalms
Literary Forms and Functions in the Psalms
Psalms in Worship
Theology of the Psalms
Expositions of the Psalms

These chapters are extremely helpful and valuable and make the purchase of the book worth while, especially the chapters on literary forms and on theology.

Once Ross gets to the individual Psalms themselves he breaks each Psalm chapter down into an introduction looking at the text and textual variants, the composition and context, and an exegetical analysis. From there he moves to a commentary of the text followed then by the message and application of the Psalm. This structure is helpful and is welcomed.

Overall I believe this to be a welcomed addition to the commentaries that already exist on the Psalter. Unfortunately it is only volume 1. We will have to wait for the other volumes.

FTC Rhetoric: I do not receive payment for my book reviews. I do sometimes receive free review and giveaway copies from authors, publishers, and publicists. My first responsibility is to my readers, therefore, I am committed to honest reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Commentary on the Psalms, Psalms 1-41.