Lucia's Reviews > Slammed

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Aug 02, 12

bookshelves: ppb, 5-stars-read
Read from July 23 to 24, 2012

This is definitely one of my best reads of the year!

Slammed is a charming and emotional story with unpredictable storyline. This book is beautifully written and I was grabbed into it right from very beginning. I have never been fond of poetry and to be honest I have never truly understood it. But I was completely mesmerized by slam poems in this book. I got really emotional just by reading them and I wished I could see people perform them too.

There is so many powerful life-stories in this book and I had no other choice than to love it. But I have to warn you. Slammed is realistic story and real life is never easy. So do not read this story in public. It is such a moving and touching story that I really had troubles to stop my tears from falling very often.

I felt so much compassion for all the characters in this book. Especially, I love Lake's relationship with her little brother Kel. And I liked being in her head. She was a real person with her ups and downs, never annoying and I perfectly understood all her feelings and actions. Also, I had to like Will. He is a true sweetheart and responsible person which makes him a very lovable and good man.

There is a lot of heartache in this book. But there is so much more love. I cannot even explain all the emotions that I have experienced while reading this book. All I can do is sincerely recommend this book to you in case you have not read it yet.

My favourite quote and wisdom from this book:

"Push your boundaries, Lake. That's what they're there for."
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

45.0% 2 comments
74.0% ""Push your boundaries, Lake. That's what they're there for.""
100.0% "This was incredible book! I have to digest all the emotions I am feeling at the moment. Review soon" 7 comments

R.E. Hunter Another great book! Enjoy :)

Lucia Thanks! I have high expectations so hopefully I wont be disappointed

Sara Yay! Oh Lucia you won't be. If I can love a YA book as much as I did anyone can! It is beautifully written.

Lucia I am not a poetry girl but I am enjoying this book a lot!

Christina Campagnone I have never been a poetry person either, but I absolutely loved this book!

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Another great book I need to read! Ahhh...there is never enough time :)

R.E. Hunter Great review, Lucia! So glad you loved it :)

Lucia Thanks Rose, it was absolutely amazing book!

Shannon - I understand with the lack of the time, it is the same for me :) but this book is really worth of reading!

message 9: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie Is this book a collection of poems mixed with a fictional story? I have always wanted to try to do a poetry slam with my students. Please let me know how poetry is used in this book and if any of the poems are appropriate for children.

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon I believe you Lucia! I already have it on my Kindle, it's just sitting there waiting for me :)

Lucia Leslie wrote: "Is this book a collection of poems mixed with a fictional story? I have always wanted to try to do a poetry slam with my students. Please let me know how poetry is used in this book and if any of..."

Hi Leslie! It is a fictional story and there are inserted couple of slam poems (approximately 7 of them I think). The poems are used in in poetry class or in slam club so characters may express their feelings. It is a beautiful story and poems are about love, death or other life experiences. There is nothing inapproppriate in poems but younger children (under 12) probably would not understand them all.