Julie's Reviews > Nine Coaches Waiting

Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary  Stewart

May 01, 2012

liked it
Read from May 13 to 16, 2012

I am a HUGE fan of the "Gothic" Romances of the 60's and 70's. Mary Stewart was one of the most popular authors in this period. This book would be placed under the romantic suspense genre today. ( no paranormal activity in this one) I picked this up in a used book store several months back. The copright was 1958, 272 pages long. The story is set in France. A young English orphan takes a job as a governess for 9 year old Phillipe. Phillipe is the owner of the property and a vast fortune. His aunt and wheelchair bound uncle are his guardians/trustees. Linda meets Raoul, her employer's son, and falls madly in love with him, but after a series of random "accidents" involving Phillipe, Linda doesn't know who she can trust. She must protect Phillipe from a sinister plot, and Raoul may be involved.
Although the book is only 272 pages long, the words were so small I had to squint, and I wear glasses. But, the first 125-140 pages are nearly boring. The lengthy set up could have been cut back to fewer pages. But, you have to remember the time the book was written and the popular style of writing in that era. But, once you got to about the halfway mark, things did start to get pretty interesting. This book would be hard to find maybe. Amazon may have it, I'm not sure. I loved the quotes at the beginning of each chapter, and the story did have the old "Jane Eyre" feel in the beginning. Although slow moving, the suspense was really tense. I would recommend it for fans of the this genre, or for those who like romantic suspense today. There was no explicit sex, (just some kissing), everything was left to the imagination of the reader in that area. There was some VERY mild occasional language.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nine Coaches Waiting.

03/31 marked as: read