Nancy's Reviews > The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration

The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson

F 50x66
May 24, 12

bookshelves: book-club-selection
Read from May 01 to 23, 2012

I would recommend this as required reading for all high school students as well as adult history buffs and anyone, like me, who appreciates a personalized, yet no less analytical account of an important historical event presented in a lively, readable manner. Wilkerson presents the story of the Great Migration of Blacks from the South to the North and West of the United States that took place from the 1930s though the 1970s and changed the face of this country. The author intersperses historical content and analysis between her accounts of three individuals, and their families, who migrated North and West, each one decade apart. I came away with a deeper understanding of the underpinnings of the persistent racial divide in our country as well as empathy for the struggles faced by African Americans, both who remained in the South, and those who left (and sometimes returned.)
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Warmth of Other Suns.