Marie Cheng Yu's Reviews > The Secret Daughter

F 50x66
May 01, 12

bookshelves: general-fiction
Read in April, 2012

I really wanted to like this book more. Premise is as follows: a poor indian couple in a remote village at least several hours outside of Bombay has yet another baby girl and must 'get rid' of her because a son is infinitely more precious and useful for their family's survival. She is whisked away to an orphanage in Bombay, and later adopted by a mixed race couple (white american girl, indian guy), and raised in the US. The book continues watching these 2 parallel families who are bound irrevocably by this young girl. And of course, the best way to throw in an amazing twist in such a story is to make sure that the girl herself travels to India one day.

Ok, great premise; I think being Chinese American, which is akin in logistics and factors to being Indian American, and having now lived abroad in China for several years, I was looking for a deeper insight, for better exemplars of cultural clash, and ultimately for more resolution to these stories. I didn't feel it brought me anything new, but it might to those wholly unfamiliar with cross-cultural divides. I was also surprised that the writing wasn't better quality, given the high rating it received on Amazon. Hope that doesn't make me a big snob!
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Daughter.