Nancy's Reviews > We Need to Talk About Kevin

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

Sep 06, 2008

bookshelves: fiction, dark
Read in January, 2004

Is it possible to empathize with a character who displays no empathy? I think that is what I tried to do with Kevin. This story haunts me because I am fascinated by what it is that allows some people to develop empathy, while others remain narcissistic or become antisocial. I thought Shriver explored all possible sides of that social dilemma, and although she came up with no answers - the novel gave me much fodder to feed my fascination with it. I don't really know if I can say I liked it, but I gave it 5 stars because I thought it was an amazing book. However, I am not likely to recommend it too often because it is a painful book to read, and I suspect that many people would find it too disturbing. This book impressed me though, because I never saw it coming, and the images from it stayed with me forever after. This book gave me a similar feeling to the one I experienced when I saw the film Elephant . Even though it made me nauseous, I couldn't turn away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Need to Talk About Kevin.