Alyssa's Reviews > The Breakaway

The Breakaway by Michelle D. Argyle

May 01, 2012

bookshelves: ya, depressing-storyline, contemp-romance
Read on May 02, 2012 — I own a copy

The story starts with a robbery gone wrong and Naomi, the protagonist, happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. She gets kidnapped and is held captive by four people, one of whom she develops feelings for.

Naomi is not the type of protagonist that I usually have a lot of patience for. Throughout most of the book, she was timid, submissive and lost but never once was I annoyed with her and I think it came down to the author's skill in portraying her as a complex character with flaws but capable of growth. I found her feelings towards her captors plausible, the classic case of Stockholm Syndrome.

The pacing was fantastic, I could not turn the pages fast enough, especially to read the scenes of her interaction with Jesse, her captor and love interest. Their chemistry felt real and her confusion about her feelings for him was very well written. The only complaint I have, and unfortunately, it is a major one, is the reason for her captivity. I think it is highly implausible in real life that she would be held captive for that long and kept for the reasons that was explained to her unless there is some major twist to the plot in any upcoming sequel (the ending was unclear). In spite of the implausible plot, this was a captivating read (pardon the pun) and I would recommend for those who like reading emotionally charged fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Breakaway.