Bri's Reviews > Defy

Defy by Raine Thomas

May 01, 2012

bookshelves: swoon-worthy-boys, arc, fantasy, own, ya-romance
Read on April 30, 2012 , read count: 1

Wow! Talk about a whirlwind of a story! This book was intense (in a good way), and all the action and plot twists had me sitting on the edge of my seat. With character perspectives changing throughout the story, there never seems to be a dull moment, and I was beyond riveted.

Initially, I was concerned about how much of this story I would understand since I have not read The Daughters of Saraqael series (which I will soon remedy). I worried for nothing! There is a nice glossary of terms and descriptions of the different races in the beginning, and if there was a moment where backstory was needed, Raine summarized the past events nicely. All of the characters were new for me, but that did not prevent me from connecting to them, and I also enjoyed learning about the world and all the people in it. Essentially, nothing should stop you from reading this book!

I adored Tate. She is a free spirit and adventurer who craves to explore the unprotected areas surrounding her home. In moments of trial, she proved to be very resourceful and was able to fend for herself, which is something I always admire in a female lead. It is nice not always needing the male lead to swoop in and save the day (although there were a few moments that happened in this book- but it only made me swoon). That brings us to the male lead, Zachariah, otherwise known as Sparky, a name bestowed upon him by Tate. How could you not love a guy who lets a girl call him Sparky? Zachariah is a character shrouded in mystery, and events from the past plague him, forcing him to withdraw from society for over five decades. I liked his character from the very beginning, and learning more about him over the course of the story was a real treat. He has a tendency to be snarky, loves to overuse the word ‘bloody,’ and has a kraken as a companion, but that all just made up the amazing package (affectionately?) called Sparky. Tate is one lucky girl. My favorite parts of this story were the many interactions between Tate and Sparky, and I wish there could have been more! Their romance left me with a huge smile on my face, and I loved the chemistry between them. I hope we get to see more of these two in the next book!

Overall, this is a great read that you should not miss out on! Chocked full of action, adventure, plot twists, and romance, Defy is a book that will leave you wanting more. Raine is a talented writer, and I cannot wait to see what she has in store for us next!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defy.