eva's Reviews > City Of Illusions

City Of Illusions by Ursula K. Le Guin

Oct 28, 08

bookshelves: fiction, sff
Read in August, 2008, read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** number three in the chronological le guin reading project. this was a great way to wrap up the first two hainish books ( planet of exile & rocannon's world ) - it made me like them much better in retrospect. it pulls a lot of threads together without being too pat and tidy and without spoon-feeding the reader. i really like this about le guin's approach to serial fiction in general.

it also shows improvement in some of the areas that were weak in the earlier two books: the relationship between falk and parth feels genuine even though there's very little time to set it up; the writing is smoother and feels less like le guin is trying to force her voice to fit into traditional 1960s genre stylings; the scope of the story is big & ambitious but under control.

really enjoyed the way taoism was woven into the story. i read this before many years ago and don't think i understood that aspect of it quite as well at the time.

i almost thought that the whole thing was going off the rails at the end, but the resolution of falk/ramarren's personality split had me riveted; i nearly cried. (granted - i was reading it on a plane and was therefore in a pretty disjointed emotional state myself.) my only significant complaint is estrel's anti-climactic exit from the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City Of Illusions.