Venuskitten's Reviews > By Battersea Bridge

By Battersea Bridge by Janet Davey

U_50x66
May 01, 12

Read in April, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Anita, drifting in the shadow of her academic, high achieving parents and brothers, accepts an offier to search for potential properties for sale in Bulgaria, partly to avoid her brother's second wedding.

Once in Bulgaria, Anita fails to cope with opportunities that the overseas trip could offer; she cannot even manage to drive the hire car, and drifts back to the UK, where she half-heartedly photographs properties in this country in the vague hope that they will pass for those in Bulgaria, and gives up driving her own car. She manages to miss her brother's wedding completely but the images of her past family life (her brother's first wedding and the tragedy of her brother's death) come back to her in jagged pieces, so that the novel jumps backwards and forwards in time and it is sometimes difficult to keep track of the plot. The novel doesn't come to a conclusion; it just stops.

I was rather disappointed in this novel. Some of the writing is captivating, but Anita is too passive and the plot was lacking for my taste. I can understand that her brother's death would be devastating, but I was hoping that Anita would start to take advantage of the chances that she has.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By Battersea Bridge.