Catherine McDonald's Reviews > The Iron Man

The Iron Man by Ted Hughes

F 50x66
May 01, 2012

The Iron Man by Ted Hughes
The Iron Man: A Children’s Story In Five nights by Ted Hughes does indeed consist of five chapters; designed to be read a chapter per day, although some children may find it difficult to wait a whole day to hear more of this exciting story.
Set in a rural town, a town where a small boy called Hogarth goes fishing in the local stream only to come across an Iron Man. He forms a relationship with the Iron Man and he must save him from the adults. The fact that when he does tell the grown-ups that they believe him and are unsure what to do really makes this story thrilling for children as they realise they are on an even footing with the adults. It is Hogarth that helps when the adults wants to trap it and when the Earth is in it’s hour of need; prey to an enormous bat-angel creature from space that threatens to devour every living thing on the planet, it is again Hogarth, the child, that sees the only one that can help is the Iron Man. Children love this book as it has adventure, mystery and explores different relationships.
I think it is an excellent book to use as a stimulus in science or to create cross curricular links when reading it in literacy.
You can look at the properties of different materials. What might have happened if the ‘Iron Man’ was made of wood, plastic, fabric or jelly? Plan an experiment to test the strength of different materials. A lot of silhouette illustrations are used in the book so you can cross over with light and shadows in science and get the children to make their own shadow robot puppets.
For ICT you could make a stop motion animation based on the story.
The book is also an excellent basis for looking at harmony within the world and how peace is created. The Iron Man wants to bring peace to the world and so possibly in Year 6, you can look at what war does and how to create peace in the world. It could be the basis in a debate possibly for PHSE or even a philosophy lesson where the answer may not be possible to find.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Man.

04/15 marked as: read

Jonny Mott So funny to see that you've used this as a topic stimulus - I just got a job following an interview lesson using magnets to search for bits of The Iron Man in trays of beach debris! You don't still have a bit of planning do you?!

message 2: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine McDonald Ha it's part of my PGCE to review some children's books and say how you can use them in lessons! So I didn't use it in a lesson...yet... But I might steal your idea, I like it :)

Jonny Mott Steal away! I LOVE your ideas, they sound spot on!