Leah's Reviews > Wyrd Sisters

Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett

May 01, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, comic
Read in May, 2012

If the idiots of the world aren't careful, they'll find themselves being educated without knowing it. Reading Pratchett is like reading something written by someone who finds pretty much everything interesting, and wants to share it with you without condescending or being preachy. Oh, wait...

Here he tackles Macbeth in particular, and the power of the written and spoken word in general. How he manages to take something as epic and classic as Macbeth and simultaneously mock it and pay homage to it is probably the essence of what makes Pratchett a truly great author. His characters are no-nonsense, rational people often thrown into ridiculous situations that cause havoc and general hilarity. You can literally see him having fun with the story, playing with conventions in every possible way and still creating a gloriously readable, constantly chuckle-causing tale.

The three witches are works of genius, genuinely likeable, funny, and quirky characters whose interactions are a joy to behold. You would think that a man's view of women written 25 years ago would date horribly and laughably, but it's a mark of how insightful and observant Pratchett was that they are just as warm, relevant and funny now as they ever have been.

There's pretty much nothing wrong with this book; it's entertainment in its purest form, handled by a master.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wyrd Sisters.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Tfitoby if i'm not mistaken this has been your favourite of the six Discworld books so far?

Leah Of the early ones, sure. Going through them in order has been interesting, since I'd already read some of the later ones before I started and of course he just got better. But this one made me laugh the most and I think it's probably the first one that hasn't felt limited in scope. Perhaps he was getting a feeling for how big the world could be?

Tfitoby I think you're probably right, aside from my affection for Mort this is definitely the best early example of all that is great about The Disc.

Geek fact: This was the first of the books adapted for the stage

David Sarkies Pratchett certainly does have the ability to make us laugh at many of the ordinary things in our world.