Estara's Reviews > Staying Dead

Staying Dead by Laura Anne Gilman

May 06, 12

bookshelves: to-read, ebook, read-in-2012
Recommended to Estara by: I liked the PI series by the author and this is the same worldbuilding
Read from May 03 to 06, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

It is interesting to see how much better plot development and consistency are in the Bonnita Torres books compared to the first Cosa Nostradamus books.

The hints of fun characters are still there, but they're awkwardly paced, for my money and while the Torres books have still some problems with tell not show, here it is much worse for my taste. Wren is set up as such an uberelite Retriever in the eyes of her partner and everyone else (they say she is and everyone agrees) but you never see her be competent in the real big heist situations - as soon as something captures her interest she screws up her own plan (sometimes even reminding herself how stupid that is) and then has to scramble to get out alive and deal with the consequences. What was she doing, taste-testing that artifact she hadn't been sent for?

Why does she get away with promising a wrongly murdered ghost his revenge, when she actually has no power to enforce this and she supposedly has no problem with people dying and killing as long as she and her small sphere of interest are safe? Either not bother or follow-up and let the ghost have revenge - she even leaves the abused women in the clutches of the direct evil guy.

In short, she behaves like a 16-year old impulsive teenager - and I can't believe she lived that long. And why the HUGE build-up of dread regarding Sergei's old crowd, when at the end they don't mind to much working for them - after all "they usually do good".

Well, some money saved for me. I'll be buying the Torres books (where some of the bits of how the world work have been changed, incidentally ^^).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Staying Dead.