Brian's Reviews > Measuring the World

Measuring the World by Daniel Kehlmann

M_50x66
May 01, 12

Measuring the World tells the story of two genius,' Carl Friedrich Gauss and Alexander von Humboldt, who just cannot seem to find a way to fit into society. They have a very hard time looking at things from a low intelligence point of view. With their minds constantly working all of the time, they fail to see what others see, yet see what others cannot. This book jumps back and forth between Humboldt and Guass as they dare to expand the horizons on math and science by making discoveries and exploring the world. If not for the meaningless equations and formulas that Kehlmann incorporated into the novel, I would have thoroughly enjoyed it. Instead I found myself ready to fall asleep at times due to that fact alone. The stories of each man alternate back and forth chapter by chapter until they finally cross paths and exchange their findings. The social outcast of the characters can be applied to anyone who reads this novel due to the fact that I think we have all been there at one point or another trying to explain something that he or she just cannot get the grasp of. Overall, I actually liked this book and followed the plot pretty easily, in fact I loved the plot and the way the novel came together as a whole.

This book would be a great read for anyone who is into math and science. Adventure seekers, this book would be perfect for you as well. If you can get through the boring parts with math and equations, then this is a great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Measuring the World.