Abhinav's Reviews > Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 1: A Sea of Troubles

Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 1 by Conor McCreery

May 22, 12

bookshelves: idw, comics, fantasy
Read on May 01, 2012

Here's a teaser of my review for it:

“Kill Shakespeare is an intense, thrilling, and a highly exciting narrative that is full of crazy puns and references galore to Shakespeare’s various plays, all of which combine to deliver one of the best reading experiences ever!” ~The Founding Fields

Where to start really. As someone who has only read the play versions of Macbeth and Twelfth Night and heavily abridged versions of some of Shakespeare’s other plays, Kill Shakespeare is a beautifully-imagined world that has something for everyone. We have the endless scheming of Richard and Lady Macbeth, the heroisms of Othello and Romeo, the villainy of Iago, the good-natured foolishness of Falstaff, the faith of Romeo, the courage of Juliet, and amongst all of them, Hamlet’s drive for vindication. There are twists and turns in every issue as the writers move the reader ever closer to that inevitable meeting between Hamlet and Shakespeare himself. There is love and romance, betrayal and friendship.

Its not something that is easy to describe for me. I burned through the two volumes in less than two days and every single moment of the reading experience was, in its own way, unique. For myself, I think being largely unfamiliar with Shakespeare’s plays really worked to draw me in because while the overarching narrative is very, very different from the plays themselves, certain character arcs are quite surprising. You never really can predict what is going to happen next. Will Iago betray Othello, Juliet and Hamlet? Will Lady Macbeth and King Richard succeed in their nefarious scheming? Is Hamlet really the prophecied Shadow King who is going to bring the god-magician Will Shakespeare back?

You can find the full review on The Founding Fields at:

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 1.