Alona Mae's Reviews > The Last Song

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

Sep 23, 2012

bookshelves: books-i-own
I own a copy , read count: 2

Despite Nicholas Sparks' growing popularity, I'm not much of his fan. The only other book i ever read and loved was his "A Walk To Remember". Though i greatly enjoyed Jamie Sullivan and Landon Carter, i thought that would be the last time i picked up one of Sparks' books. To my surprise, this book caught my interest despite my dislike of the actress who portrayed Ronnie in the movie, Miley Cyrus. I think this book interested me mainly because, as i read the back description, i was able to relate to Ronnie. My parents got into a huge fight and eventually separated back during high school and then my dad passed away of cancer during college. Although i didn't rebel as much as Ronnie did in this book, i admit i had my share of disappointments and resentments before directed towards my parents, particularly towards my dad.

Following Ronnie was like going back through time. I was a confused 16 year old again, trying to get a hold of myself. But as i sailed through this book, i realized and understood a lot of things i didn't back then. I think what especially helped was the change in narration throughout the book, that was what i liked best. Not only was i able to sympathize and dive into Ronnie's head, but i was also able to get inside the head of little Jonah, Will and most especially her dad, Steve.

When i got into the part when her dad was dying due to cancer... i'll admit, i CRIED, i BAWLED my heart out. Was teleported again back to those hospital days when my dad was getting chemotherapy and radiation..and eventually the funeral. I fully understood how Ronnie must've felt when she realized her dad had terminal cancer. I felt her grief. I love my dad so much despite everything and i praise God i was able to make more memories with him before he left.

All in all, this book is now under my list of favorites. I like it not because of Ronnie's relationship with Will, but mainly because of her relationship with her dad. And i do admit, i've developed a soft spot for Ronnie's cute lil bro, Jonah!

If you ever get the opportunity and if you're the type who doesn't mind these kind of plots, pick this book up! I'm actually scouring for another copy of this myself, another edition that doesn't have Miley Cyrus on the cover. hehe

Oh did i mention it's my dad's birthday today? Yep it is, he was born on May 01, 1948. It's been 2 years now since he passed away. haha i'm sorry, don't mind me, i just wanna throw that in. Happy reading fellow goodreaders!

“Sometimes you have to be apart from people you love, but that doesn't make you love them any less. Sometimes you love them more.” ― Nicholas Sparks, The Last Song

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Song.