Shannon Duane's Reviews > The False Prince

The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

May 01, 12

Recommended for: everyone
Read from April 28 to May 01, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I listened to the audio version of this book. I have a waterproof iPod shuffle so I swim with it and ride my bike. I've only been doing these things for about a month (I'm just getting going... sooo out of shape). What does this have to do with The False Prince, you ask? Well... I usually do about half a mile in the pool and about 7.5 km on the bike (I'm American, but my bike is set to km/hr, and I don't feel like doing the conversion at the moment).

Today, just because I wanted to finish this book, I swam a mile and 15 km! Yes, I did twice as much exercise as I usually do, just because I HAD TO FINISH THIS BOOK!

It was such a relief after the other stuff I've been reading, to finally find an AMAZING book!

The main character, Sage, is a bit annoying at first. Not annoying like TSTL annoying, but just irritating. He has a bit of an attitude problem throughout the entire book. At the same time, he's got an awesome "voice" and he's so observant and intriguing that you want to keep listening (in my case) to him. By the end, you'll be in love with him, seriously.

The writing is really good. Lots of showing and not telling and no wasted lines! That is a huge pet peeve of mine. I write screenplays (for fun... I have a baby, I just don't have time to "market" myself) and anyone who writes screenplays knows everything you write needs to have a purpose. Honestly, I think the same holds true for books, just in a different way. This book is the perfect length.

Every character holds a purpose and they all have distinct voices, another plus!

There is a twist at the end and I figured it out half way through, and I DIDN'T CARE. That's how awesome this book is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The False Prince.