Nick's Reviews > My Life in Black and White

Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: to-read
Read in July, 2012

Read more of my reviews at Nick's Book Blog

Lately, I've been going through a phase, an "intense books" phase. I keep wanting to read books that tackle difficult and mind-opening subject matters. While searching for such books, I came across My Life In Black and White. Once I read the synopsis, I knew I was in for an emotional ride. Turns out, I was right!

My Life in Black and White tells the story of beautiful and almost perfect, Alexa, whose perfect life is tossed upside down when an accident leaves half of her face disfigured. Now, Lexi must learn to accept who she has become and try to let go her past.

Characters like Lexi are hard to like for the simple reason that they are just so perfect with them being the prettiest girls at school with great boyfriends, a loving families and great cliques of friends, that you can't help but think that they are shallow and vain. At least, that's what I thought at first. After the accident that devastated Lexi, I realized that she didn't exactly have the perfect life that she projected. She was a lot more messed up on the inside and even she wasn't aware of that. To pre-accident Alexa, life was about being gorgeous. She was the sort of girl who gave a lot of importance to her physical appearance, partly due to her mother who constantly breathed down her neck telling her to "watch her diet" and partly due to everyone swarming around her without missing a chance to let her know how beautiful she was. When Alexa first came out of her accident, she acted very bitter towards everyone. I could, figuratively, see her blood boiling inside of her veins. Full of self-hatred, she abandoned everything and stayed closed inside her bedroom the entire day. I found it unnerving initially, then when I really gave it some thought, I started to understand the agonizing experience she was going through. I really liked seeing Lexi grow as a character, becoming stronger and more mature than she ever was. Her sister, Ruthie, was my favorite character in the book. Witty, smart and very protective, she was a role-model to her younger sister. Theo with his cuteness and baggage, was yet another character I cherished. However, I was a teensy bit disappointed that he didn’t really appear until the last quarter of the book.

The plot of the book was fairly basic. It was the story of a girl coming to terms with the fact that she’s no longer looks like she was before and learning to forgive others. I thought the author did a fabulous job at really encompassing Lexi’s growth throughout the story. The ups and downs of her life felt genuine and palpable because Natasha Friend’s writing style is poignant and beautiful. One aspect that I enjoyed in the book was the relationship Lexi had with her beauty-queen mother. It wasn’t the kind of relationship that was always sunny. In fact, it had peaks and valleys, especially with Lexi’s mother not coming to terms with the fact that her daughter would never become a model. The book deals with other sensitive subjects such as cheating, broken friendships, figure consciousness and taking photographs of drunk unconscious naked girls , as well.

All in all, I thought My Life In Black and White was a captivating and meaningful read, that undoubtedly evoked all sorts of feelings from me. Because of the issues that it deals with, I truly think the book is worth reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life in Black and White.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit Beautiful review Nick, sometimes I find myself in the mood for an achy intense book, I'm glad this book fulfilled what you were looking for! :)

message 2: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah I'm glad you thought the author did a wonderful job with this and really showing Lexi's development as a character. Brilliant review, Nick. :)

Nick Jasprit wrote: "Beautiful review Nick, sometimes I find myself in the mood for an achy intense book, I'm glad this book fulfilled what you were looking for! :)"

Thank you so much, Jasprit ! :)

Aa'Ishah wrote: "I'm glad you thought the author did a wonderful job with this and really showing Lexi's development as a character. Brilliant review, Nick. :)"

Thanks, Aa'Ishah. The plot was really great and the author did do a fab job ! :)

message 4: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah Awesome. I've added this, so I look forward to when I can read it. :)