Alana Woods's Reviews > Love of My Life: Memoirs of a Love Lost

Love of My Life by Angie Russell

Apr 30, 12

Read in April, 2012

You know this book isn’t going to end happily by the title and to begin with I wondered whether I really wanted to read a true life story that ends sadly.

Angie, the author, an American, meets Nick, a Kenyan, on a business trip to Africa. They fall in love and pledge to find a way to maintain that love and eventually make a life together.

In the two years that follow they make unsuccessful plans for a reunion until, in the end, circumstances part them forever.

The story unfolds through their correspondence (emails, text and instant messages) and the author’s journal entries. The book is divided into several parts and the intensity of feelings builds through each.

Their faith is a constant throughout. They believe God has brought them together and will eventually resolve the problems that keep them apart.

In the Preface the author notes that to keep the integrity of the original writings she has retained Nick’s African terminology and grammar. He uses Swahili and words from his tribal language Luo. It shifts the book up a gear from being a plain gut-wrencher to completely absorbing for the insights into his life that it gives.

What makes this book memorable for me is its utterly candid nature. The author bares her heart and soul. It would be a hard heart that isn’t drawn in to the emotion that she makes no attempt to mask.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love of My Life.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Brooke This is a beautifully written and insightful revue. A wonderful lesson for a tyro critic like myself. Thank you Alana.

Alana Woods Thanks John :) Nice to know that someone is reading them.

Alana