Rose's Reviews > The Good Braider

The Good Braider by Terry Farish

Terry Farish's "The Good Braider" is a beautiful, lyrical novel that tugged on my heartstrings in many moments. It's the story of a teenage African girl named Viola who survives hardships in her homeland to travel with her family to America in search of a better life, out of the heart of war. The novel is written in verse, and the flow of the language and Viola's voice feels authentic and heartfelt. I really gained a sense of who Viola was and how much she cared for her family, alongside the fear she feels in her homeland. She endures some horrid tragedies, yet expounds upon them with a maturity that I couldn't help but admire. I was glad to see that, through the hardships she relives and ultimately comes to terms with, she finds happiness as she pursues an education, and finds a relationship with a boy who cares for her. The book proved a fast read for me, and I think it's one that young adults would appreciate for not only the voice of the young woman and her respective experiences, but also gain a sense of what its like moving from one country and adjusting to life and common place ideals and values in another. In the end, Viola stands as a strong character that's hard not to feel proud of in her respective accomplishments and happiness.

Overall score: 4/5

Note: I received this as an ARC from NetGalley, from the publisher Marshall Cavendish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Braider.

07/12/2012 page 1
0.0% "Quick read. I'm not sure how far I'm going to get into this tonight, but I'm going to try my best to get as far as I can. It seems like a very interesting story."
07/13/2012 page 13
6.0% "Just to be clear, this novel is penned in loose verse, so if your preferences run in reading novels not in verse, this may not appeal. For me, I'm finding it quite intriguing thus far."
07/13/2012 page 21
10.0% ""I would rather escape than eat/but children do not disagree with their parents""
07/13/2012 page 34
16.0% "Oh goodness, no. D:"
07/13/2012 page 42
20.0% "This is a beautifully written story so far. Viola's experiences are heartbreaking, but you can tell she's a determined young woman."
07/13/2012 page 86
40.0% "Viola and her mother are trying to make their way to America. Still a strong story because of the conviction in Viola's voice/narrative."
07/13/2012 page 128
60.0% "*winces* Andrew seems like a nice guy, but Viola's mother won't let her talk to him."
07/13/2012 page 143
67.0% "D'aww, that was a cute scene. <3"
07/13/2012 page 157
74.0% "That poor girl. D:"
show 1 hidden update…