Ronn's Reviews > Mount Misery

Mount Misery by Samuel Shem

Sep 28, 08

it was ok
Read in September, 2008

** spoiler alert ** HOUSE OF GOD was such a masterpiece, so accurately if cynically portraying the life of a medical resident, that it is sold in the bookshop of the medical school that I work for. I am convinced that this book was the inspiration for ST ELSEWHERE.

MOUNT MISERY follows the same main character, Roy Basch, as he persues his psychiartic specialty with all its attendant ups and downs.

I am about 400 pages into this book, and I have to say that I am sorry I didnt quit after 100 pages. The only reason I am not quitting after 400 pages is that I want to see if it all turns out OK for Roy in the end. Shem makes you like the guy, but he has made me hate just about everybody else that he works with, and I want to know that he rises above all and prevails.

I will update this once I finish the book, but as of right now, I can only say that unless you are REALLY motivated to read a follow-up to HOUSE OF GOD, dont start reading this.

EDITED TO ADD: OK, I finished it. And I have to say that the last 100 pages does reward the reader for getting through everything that came before. But Where I will probably reread HOUSE OF GOD every couple of years, odds are pretty good that I will never want to reread MOUNT MISERY again. It is very well writen, and it has an ending that I sort of hoped for, but I am done with these characters.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mount Misery.