Jessica Rmz's Reviews > The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

May 18, 12

Read in May, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I thought it would be the typical underdog story where the corky teenager breaks through and becomes a huge popular person. I was so wrong.
I even thought he was a "Holden Caulfield" kind of character at the beginning of the book.

There was so much child molestation here, I thought it was disturbing and unsettling. Lots of raping involving several main characters and one witnessed by the main one.

I also thought it was so unsettling and creepy the way Charlie would say throughout the whole book how he missed so much his Aunt Helen, and how she loved him, and how she was special and he loved her, only to realize later she molested him frequently when he was little. WHAT?! Then that is just beyond my comprehension, how is that possible? Shouldn't he be forever scarred? Shouldn't him feel subconsciously repulsion towards her? WHAT THE EF IS HAPPENING HERE.

Honestly that's why I didn't like it. It's like a "Catcher in the Rye" but mixed with lots of raping. Even the endings are similar.

I'm disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Quotes Jessica Liked

We accept the love we think we deserve.
“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Stephen Chbosky
“I am very interested and fascinated how everyone loves each other, but no one really likes each other.”
Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower