Ann's Reviews > The End of Illness

The End of Illness by David B. Agus

Apr 30, 2012

did not like it
Read in April, 2012

What an annoying book! Agus is a cancer doctor and named his book "The End of Illness," so I had great hopes for it. But he admitted that he couldn't really cure cancer or end illness. Even worse, he wrote a book that read like a textbook, rambled like a boring old professor and offered the same advice we all heard from our mothers. Obviously, we all feel better when we get enough sleep, eat a balanced diet and get regular exercise. But, he actually said that high heels can lead to the kind of inflammation that causes serious illness. He is also a big advocate for genetic testing, but of course he owns the company.

Kaiser is big on prevention and has done a great job of making sure I get all my vaccinations and tests on schedule, another one of his recommendations. He advocates statins and baby aspirin for everyone, but spends several pages denigrating vitamins. I just found this book annoying, but I think it would be a real insult to anyone who has a serious illness through no fault of their own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Illness.

Kelly Spoer no offense here, (please really i hate internet arguments) but having just finished the book i'd like to disagree on your last sentence:"...I think it would be a real insult to anyone who has a serious illness through no fault of their own."

What he is saying is that you aren't at fault for having an illness. People get sick. People get cancer. People have heart attacks. But he says that perhaps we can prevent these things from happening in the future if we understood what was going on in body when these things happen.

He's not faulting the person for having cancer, he just wants people who don't have cancer yet to prevent it, and those who do have it to not die from it.

message 2: by Neja (new) - added it

Neja I think a lot of things that our mothers told us are pretty good. The problem with the world today is that people need new things all the time. New strategies, new ways of dieting and a lot of people hate what doctors say, they lost trust in them. I think most of these new things are just marketing strategies…and are out there just because of money and bunch of labile people get easily brainwashed. So people get disappointed when someone tells them something they heard 1000 times. Well a lot of times these things you heard about so many times work, but most people still don't do it.