Wendy's Reviews > The Water Wars

The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy
Read in March, 2012

I really wanted to like this more. The plot looked really interesting: what happens to the world when we finally run out of clean water? I just wish it had been done better.

Problem #1: I wasn't really drawn to the characters. There were no defining personality traits that made me like any of them. The good guys were good and the bad guys were bad. No depth. No development.

Problem #2: Way too much coincidence. Without giving too much away, it just felt like things happened a little to "easily" for them. Granted, plenty goes wrong, but they head out pretty much on a whim and end up exactly where they planned to be, without really knowing where that was or having any control in getting there. I wanted to see more actual planning and less dumb luck.

Problem #3: It was way too action-driven. The entire story just seemed to jump from one catastrophe to the next. There was no inner (or outer, for that matter) dialogue about what was going on or planning or processing.

I could probably have come up with a few more if I'd actually written this right after I read it, instead of a month or two later, but I guess this will have to do. It was certainly an interesting read, but not recommended for anyone who wants a little more depth in their stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Water Wars.