Sarah's Reviews > Before I Go To Sleep

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

F 50x66
Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: adult, memory, amnesia, psychology, suspense
Read in April, 2012

Each morning Christine wakes up in a strange bed next to a man she doesn't recognize. She is suffering from a unique form of amnesia, where her recollection of each day is wiped clean when she falls asleep at night. Her patient husband, Ben, has been by her side since her accident. He must constantly remind her of who she is, where she is, and the pieces of her life she cannot recall. Photos and stories help Christine function, but every morning she is back to her original state of confusion. Fortunately, a helpful therapist, Dr. Nash, encourages Christine to keep a journal, building upon her recalled memories and piecing together the puzzle of her life. But Dr. Nash has to call her every day to remind her where the journal is, and persuades her to keep their medical relationship private, as Ben wouldn’t approve. But when her journal entries and husband’s reassurances are contradictory, Christine isn’t sure who to believe, her husband of 22 years, or her own, damaged memory? This book started a bit slow, but the plot is unique and it’s a haunting debut.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Go To Sleep.