Jodie's Reviews > Slammed

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

May 11, 12

bookshelves: love-love-love, bestest-ever, 6-stars
Read on May 11, 2012

Holy smokes Batman! This is one of those books that words can not even come close to describing. I would have rated this book well above 5 stars if possible. I am certain that it has become my favorite of 2012. I know, I know, that's a big call.

I don't read as much YA or anything as much as PNR or UF, but after reading this I fear I have have been missing out on some phenomanal books.

Slammed brought out the most extreme reactions in me. For the first quarter I sat with a perpetual grin, I just felt so happy meeting Lake & Will. I fell irrecovocably in love. Lake is so real & her reactions are so emotional and true. She wears her heart on her sleeve. Will is genuine, honest, swoonworthy & delightful. Their first meetings and subsequent date made me laugh out loud. Two peas in a pod. Natural. Thats kind of when things started going awry for these 2. The rest of the book managed to make me smile occasionally, like the sun peaking through the storm clouds, but the predominant emotion was heartache & devastation. Lakegot slammed. Over & over. I cried, I sobbed, I even wailed at one point. Life treated these guys so unfairly, but they had already learnt what in life was inevitable. I wanted to hug them all. I fell in love with all of the characters, and that for me is rare. They each made the story an unforgettable one. I'm not a huge fan of poetry, but the poetry throughout the story really made a big impact and helped get background & thoughts out in the open in a non conventional way. .

If you haven't read this, I ask you why? This love I felt during & after this book is the reason I adore reading, I challenge you to not fall in love & cry your heart out for these 2 families. Be prepared. You will need tissues (lots!) and a fan, cause man, there is a whole lot of tension when Will & Lake share the same space! I am thrilled to be with Lake & Will in Point of Retreat straight away.

Well done Ms Hoover. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

Quotes Jodie Liked

Colleen Hoover
“I got schooled this year
a
boy

A boy that I'm seriously, deeply, madly, incredibly, and undeniably in love with.
And he taught me the most important thing of all...

To put the emphasis
On life .”

Colleen Hoover
“Question everything. Your love, your religion, your passion. If you don't have questions, you'll never find answers.”

“Imperfections define perfection”

Colleen Hoover
“There are three questions every woman should be able to answer yes to before they commit to a man. If you answer no to any of the three questions, run like hell."
[...]
"Does he treat you with respect at all times? That's the first question. The second question is, if he is the exact same person twenty years from now that he is today, would you still want to marry him? And finally, does he inspire to be a better person? You find someone you can answer yes to all three, then you've found a good man.”

“To my babies,

Merry Christmas. I'm sorry if these letters have caught you both by surprise. There is just so much more I have to say. I know you thought I was done giving advice, but I couldn't leave without reiterating a few things in writing. You may not relate to these things now, but someday you will. I wasn't able to be around forever, but I hope that my words can be.

-Don't stop making basagna. Basagna is good. Wait until a day when there is no bad news, and bake a damn basagna.

-Find a balance between head and heart. Hopefully you've found that Lake, and you can help Kel sort it out when he gets to that point.

-Push your boundaries, that's what they're there for.

-I'm stealing this snippet from your favorite band, Lake. "Always remember there is nothing worth sharing, like the love that let us share our name."

-Don't take life too seriously. Punch it in the face when it needs a good hit. Laugh at it.

-And Laugh a lot. Never go a day without laughing at least once.

-Never judge others. You both know good and well how unexpected events can change who a person is. Always keep that in mind. You never know what someone else is experiencing within their own life.

-Question everything. Your love, your religion, your passions. If you don't have questions, you'll never find answers.

-Be accepting. Of everything. People's differences, their similarities, their choices, their personalities. Sometimes it takes a variety to make a good collection. The same goes for people.

-Choose your battles, but don't choose very many.

-Keep an open mind; it's the only way new things can get in.

-And last but not least, not the tiniest bit least. Never regret.

Thank you both for giving me the best years of my life.

Especially the last one.

Love,

Mom”

05/10/2012
11.0% "Only a small amount in and I have lost count at how many times I have laughed out loud. I can already feel this book is going to blow me away. <3 Will"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Evie (new) - added it

Evie Thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to check it out!!! :)

Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R Thanks for the rec Jodie! I just bought my copy and will start it maybe monday,I gotta catch up with with my other read =)
Great review!

Jodie Thanks guys. It was beautiful & heart wrenching. I'll be certain to check out your review Elena! Hope you guys love it as much as I did. I am certain you will x

message 4: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Jodie, thanks for the recommendation. Sounds interesting. I will give it a try

Jodie Yay Sophie!

Lucy Thanks for the rec- I just picked it up today! You make it sound amazing :)