Vincent Wood's Reviews > Tricked

Tricked by Kevin Hearne

May 07, 12

Read from April 30 to May 06, 2012

Book four in a series that is basically a clone of the Dresden Files. It has similarities in terms of the main character being a powerful magic-user as well as other things in common such as the apprentice, the pet, werewolf and vampire acquaintances, pop culture quips, as well as a few other features. The author seems to have no problem with the comparison to the Dresden Files as he practically advertised the fact of the cover of the book of the copy I read.

The main character has moved away from the Phoenix area, but the events of this book still reside in another part of a state that is near and dear to this reader's heart although the main character did make another quip insulting the specific part of Phoenix I grew up in and this has not been his first. I think I can forgive him though since when I lived there, we who lived there knew its reputation and made fun of it as well on occasion.

As far as content, the main character still does not seem to be acting like somebody who has successfully lived for over two thousand years. But I guess the book would be somewhat boring if he did act like that. The storyline is enjoyable and I would recommend this book to anybody who has read and enjoyed the Dresden Files while waiting for the next book in that series to come out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tricked.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Dblaroche I find the Dresden Files very dark and depressing. Kevin's books are upbeat; the tone is totally different.

LazerWraith I find the Dresden Files much less depressing than Dblaroche does.