Lori's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

May 25, 2012

Read from May 02 to 25, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

Quotes Lori Liked

Markus Zusak
“If only she could be so oblivious again, to feel such love without knowing it, mistaking it for laughter and bread with only the scent of jam spread on top of it. It was the best time of her life.”
Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Markus Zusak
“When it came down to it, one of them called the shots. The other did what he was told. The question is, what if the other is a lot more than one?”
Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Lori This was a good one. I thought the format of the book was interesting and several story-telling techniques were well used. Specifically, the author's treatment of spoken words as physical objects such as jewells from Hitler's mouth or as Rosa "...seemed to collect the words in her hand,pat them together, and hurl them across the table." And on page 262 & 263 we see Liesel's words have a physical impact on the mayor's wife.

Leslie Mcgilberry That's one of the main things I love about this book too! I started writing some of them down including her words to the mayor's wife. I also liked when Max had just arrived and Hans asked if everything was good (meaning his bed) and "The reply floated from his mouth, then molded itself like a stain to the ceiling. Such was his feeling of shame." And when Max first awoke, saw Leisel and said "'Please.'... His voice held on, as if possessing fingernails. He pressed it into her flesh."