Kiwi's Reviews > The Woman with the Diamond Heart

The Woman with the Diamond Heart by Judy Powell

Apr 30, 2012

bookshelves: 2012

I downloaded this for free as a way to test my Kindle Fire; I found I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I loved the way the family and its characters were interwoven through time in Jamaica, from the present back to the time of slavery--with even a hint of the natives. I thought it provided a unique history of Jamaica, given it was one limited cast of characters from one family, but that it hit many of the main problems/issues that so many inhabitants would have been facing. Nearly all of them--or possibly even all of them--fit the history of other countries, too, including my own. It's a close look at the turning points with unique stories for each character. I really loved the strong female characters, too; that was a pleasure to read.

A great tale. As with 'The Color Purple', sometimes the dialect makes it a touch more difficult to read, but I never found it much of a problem; as if often the case, it soon becomes second-nature.

Brilliant book. Glad I read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman with the Diamond Heart.