Paula's Reviews > 100 Selected Poems

100 Selected Poems by E.E. Cummings

Sep 06, 08

Read in September, 2008

I've always loved Cummings's unique poetic style, but I particularly like this collection of his work that's been compiled; it's a nice mix of old favorites and poems of his that I haven't read before. Li-Young Lee once said (at my undergraduate college) that the only subjects worthy of poetry are love and death, and this collection precedes that notion by about forty years.

For many, Cummings's poetry is a challenge because of his play with punctuation and, particularly, irregular syntax. But, even with his most difficult poems, I feel that an overall understanding can be reached without having complete mastery over the subject or nature of each poem; it can be understood in an almost intuitive, or maybe unconscious, way. And, even with a clear sense of play, one can see the formality forced on each piece in terms of rhyme scheme and rhythm (many, many unconventional sonnets are included in this particular book).

Good collection of poems by Cummings and one that regular readers of his work will enjoy. Also an enlightening book for fans of modern American poetry.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 100 Selected Poems.