Craig Pittman's Reviews > The Bullpen Gospels: A Non-Prospect's Pursuit of the Major Leagues and the Meaning of Life

The Bullpen Gospels by Dirk Hayhurst

May 29, 2012

it was ok
Read from April 30 to May 29, 2012

I've read a lot of baseball books, most of them about major leaguers, a few of them autobiographies. I can only recall one other memoir about life in the minors: "A False Spring" by Pat Jordan, a melancholy masterpiece. This book doesn't touch that one, and covers some of the same ground. The beginning is slow, brutal going, as Hayhurst chronicles his abysmal upbringing and how it spurred him to stick with baseball even in the face of failure. Then he at last takes the reader into the team setting and shows some of the antics that go on at the hotels, aboard the buses and in the dugout and bullpen. That part is rough and rowdy and fun, but not terribly deep. The ending, where Hayhurst attempts to tie it all together, is fitfully affecting but still not as good as Jordan's. I see lots of raves on the cover from people like Keith Olberman and Bob Costas, but as a reader I have to say I had a harder time getting into this book and now that I'm done with it I expect to have an easier time forgetting what it had to say.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bullpen Gospels.