Laina's Reviews > The Girl's Guide to Vampires: All You Need To Know About The Original Bad Boys

The Girl's Guide to Vampires by Barbara Karg

May 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult-2012
Read from April 30 to May 06, 2012

My rating: 3.5 out of 5

I am a big vampire fan, so I was really excited when I found this book in the YA section of a local bookstore. The cover is appealing and so are the pages. In this book Barb Karg takes us through varying vampire legends across the different continents. She covers the differences in how vampires are created, what powers they have, what they look like and much more. She also references vampire experts from Bram Stoker to Anne Rice. Karg also discusses vampires in film, ranging from Bela Lugosi's and Gary Oldman's interpretations of Dracula to Stuart Townsend as iconic vampire Lestat. Karg also threw in her own fictional commentary, depicting a scene in which you as the reader meet a vampire. Overall I would say this book is pretty interesting. As someone who is working on my own vampire book I appreciate the collection of vampire lore and will most likely use this book as a quick reference guide. It was a quick read and very informative on the differences in vampire lore. I just wish Karg would have included some pictures/drawings/depictions of vampires, especially as they changed over time. Nosteratu is quite different from the romantic blooksuckers of today, and seeing that along with reading the text would have been quite sensational.

Summary:
The good news is: He's tall, dark, and handsome. The bad news is: He's a bloodsucking creature of the night. Not to mention arrogant, predatory, and immortal. What's a girl to do? No worries'in this guide, girls learn everything they need to know about these romantic rogues, including how to: know when they've met a vampire, avoid falling prey to a nightstalker's charms, resist even the most aggressive advances, protect themselves against the undead, destroy a vampire'using everything from holy water to decapitation, complete with a review of vampire books, TV shows, and films as well as accounts of real-life encounters with vampires, this book is all girls need to surrender to the night'and still make sure they're around to see another day! Barb Karg (Pacific Northwest) is a veteran journalist, author, screenwriter and lifelong vampire aficionado currently at work on a vampire novel. She's authored or coauthored twenty-two books (from book cover).

Characters:
N/A

Key words/issues:vampires, fantasy, legends, lore, folktales, mythology

Related books:
The Everything Vampire Book by Barb Karg
The Girl's Guide to Werewolves by Barb Karg
The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia of the Undead by J. Gordon Melton

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl's Guide to Vampires.