Melody's Reviews > Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War

Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz

May 28, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, civil-war, war
Read from April 30 to May 11, 2012 — I own a copy

A bunch of my reviews disappeared - and this was one of them. blah.

A Jewish journalist who has been fascinated with the civil war - sets off to starve himself with some hard-cord reenactors and attempts to discover why the south can't let this war go.

He might just as well have tried to figure out why so many Alabama people still sport the hounds tooth hat and can't bury the Bear.

I made my way to the civil war museum in New Orleans where I was asked when I paid my admission: "I have to ask.... what kind of name is that?" (Izard)

We support our right to be prejudice if we think it can be called states rights.

Disjointed, I know. But that's my review. Loved the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confederates in the Attic.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessica I love this book and even years later I'm always telling people to read it! It's one of those books that's always coming up.

Melody We bought it in Natchez, MS a few years ago and my husband has been telling me that I have to read it. It's been in my "to read" stack (my actual to read stack)with that creepy man in his belted plaid shirt and bushy eyebrows peering at me from the cover. My husband has some relatives who could very well be included in this book.

Jessica Having grown up in California where schools don't teach much about it, an embarrassingly large amount of my knowledge about the Civil War comes from this book... scary, right?

message 4: by Melody (last edited May 11, 2012 03:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melody If I was taught anything about it in school, it was only superficial ... or I nodded off during it.
I would have been one of the people Tony Horwitz points out in disbelief who can't name one Civil War battle - if it weren't for 2 things: My daughter's Girl Scout troop had a camp-out at Shiloh and then toured the park, and I ran a double loop marathon through Chickamauga Battlefield a few years ago. So Girl Scouts, running and this book have been responsible for my civil war education. Oh! and a low budget film that one of my friends produced in the early 80s. First called Shadow Waltz then changed to Rebel Love He hired Civil War reenactors for the battle scenes - or maybe they even did it for free. That was the first time I knew such a group of fanatics existed.

Jessica Wow, that movie looks pretty amazing... what a poster!