Kristal Cooper's Reviews > A Queer and Pleasant Danger: The True Story of a Nice Jewish Boy Who Joins the Church of Scientology and Leaves Twelve Years Later to Become the Lovely Lady She is Today

A Queer and Pleasant Danger by Kate Bornstein

Sep 28, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from September 12 to 28, 2012

Okay, so this Jewish boy is an alcoholic, drug abuser who also has PTSD from suppressing his desire to be a girl. After a botched suicide attempt, he joins the new church of Scientology where he climbs the ladder for twelve years and becomes a big success. Then he’s suddenly ex-communicated, so he decides to go ahead and become a woman, where he discovers that he’s not only a lesbian, but a super-masochist. All the while, he’s an actor, a playwright/author, and activist.

So, I read a lot of memoirs because I like to learn something completely different and people who feel the need to write a memoir usually have something special to share. Well, there certainly was plenty of material here that was new to me! The problem, I discovered, was that I wasn’t invested in Al/Kate AT ALL. I have no empathy for people with a drug/alcohol problem because I feel like it’s a stupid thing to get addicted to. I have even less of a care for people who get wrapped up in religion because that’s also bullshit. Everything the author did to make a living is my worst nightmare, personally. Also, he’s a full generation older than me, so there are a lot of basic things there that I just didn’t “get”.

I do have gay friends and I strongly support their issues because they’re very current and real – so this read wasn’t a total loss for me. I’ll try and find someone to pass this on to who’ll identify better and get more out of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Queer and Pleasant Danger.