Stephanie Ward's Reviews > Crazy Dangerous

Crazy Dangerous by Andrew Klavan

Jun 12, 12

bookshelves: for-review
Read in June, 2012

"Do right. Fear nothing."

This is the first book I've read by Andrew Klavan and I certainly wasn't disappointed. 'Crazy Dangerous' is an incredibly well written thriller/mystery that is fast paced and addicting to read. The plot twists keep the reader guessing until the end of the book, making this a great page turner. Aside from dealing with normal teen issues of popularity, bullying, friendship and family, the novel also provides a unique look into mental illness and schizophrenia as well as the tough topic of morals and ethics.

The story is told mostly from Sam's point of view, although at times we get to see into the troubled mind of Jennifer as well. By using Sam as the narrator, we are able to see his character grow and change drastically throughout the book. At the beginning, Sam is just seen as the PK (the preacher's kid) and is always trying to be perfect. As the story progresses, we see Sam begin to trust his intuition more and to take risks that could, and usually do, result in bad things happening. His motto throughout the book is "Do right. Fear nothing." This phrase perfectly reflects the change in Sam's character and also is a great moral lesson to readers.

There were also some religious ideas mixed into the story, but these fit in well with the plot because Sam's father was a pastor. The characters question important things like evil in the world, faith, and why God would allow suffering and pain. Also, through Jennifer's character, we see the questions of if God ever leaves us and why he lets bad things happen. These are very worthwhile questions for readers of all age to ponder and along with the other moral lessons in the book, there is much going on beneath the surface of this extraordinary young adult thriller.

In all honesty, I had this book on my wishlist before I signed up for the tour. The description sounded really interesting and I thought it would be something I would enjoy reading. After reading the ebook copy of 'Crazy Dangerous', I am very glad I trusted my instincts about this book and I loved it so much that I'm hoping to get a hardcover copy for my shelf so I can read it again! I highly recommend this book to readers of all ages who enjoy paranormal, thrillers, mysteries, suspense, YA, and just really fascinating plots with awesome writing.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy Dangerous.