Jacob Santos's Reviews > The Black Prism

The Black Prism by Brent Weeks

M 50x66
Apr 30, 12

I should clarify that prior to reading this book, I was unaware of any other book using a magic system consisting of light (Read Warbreaker after), so that was part of my satisfaction with reading it. I will also say that Brent Weeks has to be one of the most frustrating authors. Not to rail against him, but he creates such a diverse and expansive world and then only graces you with a tiny sliver of what exists. He did it with Night Shadows series and it is doing it again with this series. Very compelling, but I'm fairly certain after the third book, I'll be wanting more and that desire won't be fulfilled.

Brent Weeks strength are as always the world building. The world is relatively small geographical area, kind of like the Meditarren Sea, big, but still not the entire world. The territories around the sea don't agree on much, but they are formed by the Ruler called the Prism, whose task is to balance the world.

The main focus of the conflict is blah blah, one of the countries that the others fought on and practically razed to the ground do not feel loved and absolutely are mistreated like crazy. It hits the fan and a lot of secrets come spilling out and there is a brief Harry Potter moment. Drives me crazy, I think he could have spent a book or two drilling into the interactions of the school, its politics, the characters, etc. However, just when the school was getting interesting, you are knocked out of that world and brought back to where it all started... well not quite.

You never actually see the city where the final conflict is resolved during the beginning. To say of another of Brent's strengths, he doesn't have much dead time, similar to Jim Butcher, except Jim tends to leave you wanting more without frustrating you like crazy.

The book ends with a bang that was pretty freakin' epic and was well worth the wait.

Overall, the book is certainly one of Brent's best. I will say that he is an author to look forward to. Certainly not as gritty as his first series, but still pretty epic in the fight scenes. Not as complex as his first series (which is to say there is complexity and secrets, just not as many as in the Night Shadow series.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Prism.