Nadine Jones's Reviews > A Groom of One's Own

A Groom of One's Own by Maya Rodale

Oct 02, 12

bookshelves: regency, historical-romance, stayed-up-way-too-late
Read from September 28 to October 01, 2012

I really enjoyed this - I dropped two other books and started reading this, and couldn't stop til I was done. But ... when I was done, I was left with a "meh." I just didn't like how it was wrapped up at the end.

Lovely Miss Sophia Harlow, Writing Girl, was jilted at the altar a year previous, and forced to find employment to support herself. One sunny summer day, she meets handsome double Duke Brandon (Brandon and something ...). They are infatuated with each other. Sadly, he is already engaged to be married to lovely Clarissa. Yadda yadda yadda, Sophie and Brandon can't stay away from each other, Clarissa falls in love with someone else (a Bavarian Prince, no less), there is much longing and hand wringing.

I just got fed up with how STUPID the hero was being. Your fiancee doesn't want to marry you, you're in love with this other woman, your fiancee is in love with a man who is richer and more powerful than you are (and he's into HER too) ... and you don't know what to do????? Duh! (view spoiler) Also, I didn't care for the balance between the two romances. We got some insight into Clarissa and her Prince Frederick, some passages from their pov of their private meetings, but yet the book was mostly about Sophie and Brandon. I felt like the author didn't really know who to focus on the most. This was her first novel, I think, and I guess it shows. Maya Rodale is on my list of favorite Romance authors, but this one was a bit of a dud.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Groom of One's Own.