Jodie's Reviews > Camp

Camp by Elaine Wolf

May 26, 12

bookshelves: own, arc
Read from April 30 to May 05, 2012

You know when you come across one of those books that really makes you stop and think about not only your life, but the way the world is? A book that grabs you and shakes you down to your core. Shakes hard. It's rare, unique, and to be treasured. That is exactly what I found in Camp.
When I first decided to review Camp, I figured it would be some fluffy book about a mother/daughter adventure and a big bonding experience. What I found was far from that. Camp doesn't skim on issues at hand, but rips deeply into them, revealing how bad bullying can get. I know we have all had our share, but not like this. And certainly not having to deal with all of the numerous issues Amy Becker has on her plate.
Amy and her mother have never gotten along. It isn't some trivial topic at hand, but an underlying issue that seems as though her mother truly hates her. If it isn't hard enough dealing with a mother who despises her, she also had to deal with the motherly role of taking care of her autistic eight year-old brother Charlie. This is not the life that a fourteen year old should be living. Her father understood this and signed her up for summer camp, hoping that she would enjoy some time away. Truth is--if Amy never would've went to camp, the tragic events never would have taken place. It was all a series of events starting with the overbearing bullying that took place that summer. I never would've had the courage and strength of Amy. My heart broke for her repeatedly. My tears continuously fell for her. In the end, I couldn't help but wonder... Could any of this really be true? This is something that I have never pondered after finishing a book. And in reading the note from the author, I had my answer. I am so very thankful for that note. So very thankful for Camp. Elaine Wolf deserves tremendous praise for her amazing talent.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Camp.

05/03/2012 page 84
33.0% "This book is very intense!"