William M.'s Reviews > The Girl in the Woods

The Girl in the Woods by David J.    Bell

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: horror, thriller

David Bell’s second novel, The Girl In The Woods, has technically better writing, but it did not interest me as much as his debut, The Condemned. For me, the only part of the story that felt unique were the scenes in the woods and cabin involving Roger and the mythology of the Pioneer Club. The surrounding plots with Diana and Professor Ludwig felt a bit forced and predictable. The only real scares occur with Roger’s character, and when the author shifts to someone else, the suspense quickly dissipates. Early on, so much detail is revealed about Roger, we know his limitations for harming others and any possible danger evaporates.

The author begins to dive into some dark and disturbing matter when Roger is first introduced, but when the story moves to other characters, we never really continue that creepy atmosphere. The very “R rated” tone of Roger’s world slides into an easy “PG-13” mode and contrasts awkwardly with the other parts of the story. I also think this book would have been much more effective as a novella than a novel. There seemed to be a lot of filler throughout the writing which drained the tension in the narrative and slowed it down. The ending, as well, felt a bit anticlimactic and the resolution with Kay Todd just seemed to fizzle out. These issues aside, there is no doubt David Bell is maturing as a writer and I look forward to more work by this horror newcomer.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Woods.