Mathieu Debic's Reviews > Notes Of An Alchemist

Notes Of An Alchemist by Loren Eiseley

Apr 30, 12

Read in April, 2012

It is unfortunate that Loren Eiseley seems to have largely faded from the public eye (in the circles I inhabit, anyway, to my lasting chagrin), doubly unfortunate that so much of his work is out of print or difficult to find these days. He was a thoughtful, engaging and deep writer whose musings on life, death, Life, and Death, I feel still hide buried treasures for the inquisitive reader. Though fairly wide of Eiseley's usual mark of essays on scientific and emotional topics, this slim volume of poems nonetheless bears a family resemblance. Eiseley was a man thoroughly in love with nature and the world around him. Thoughtful, sweet, sometimes deeply melancholy, his poems seem to float softly down from some rarefied height, a height above the treeline, where the air is biting but clear, and land quietly and unassumingly on these pages. Some betray their creator's scientific background with arcane vocabulary or the occasional bit of less-than-graceful wordplay, but these blemishes hardly ruin the entire fruit. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this volume and feel it deserves a place on the shelves of anyone interested in the confluence and convergence of the natural sciences and the humanistic arts.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notes Of An Alchemist.