Jackie's Reviews > I Was A Rat!

I Was A Rat! by Philip Pullman

May 16, 12

bookshelves: england, humor, fantasy, based-on-fairy-tale, animals-rats, caudill-2003
Read from April 30 to May 16, 2012

So just what would have happened if those creatures did not return to their original form once the fairy godmother's spell had worn off? Would Cinderella's story have changed in any way? In I Was a Rat! we find out...with loads of humor and good-natured teasing. Roger shows up one night at Bob and Joan's door, just after Princess Aurelia's (Mary Jane) engagement to Prince Richard is announced. He is a little on the scruffy side, has trouble with his memory, and insists he is only three weeks old! But, Bob and Joan take him in anyway and begin to love him as if he were their boy.

Through his pecularities, however, Roger gets into mischief and the town cries out for his extermination, insisting he is half-boy, half-rat. Bob and Joan remember Roger's suspicious connection to Princess Aurelia and implore her to help. Mary Jane is not whole-heartedly happy with her life, for she is more of a trophy than a intelligent partner, but she knows that her agreement with the fairy godmother is solid. She knows, too, that little Roger must find his way in his new skin, too.

Here we find the hilarious and heart-warming story of a rat made boy and just how one fairy godmother's goof-up is the start of a loving tale (or is it tail?) of a boy and his adoptive family.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Was A Rat!.