Rach's Reviews > Voyage on the Great Titanic: The Diary of Margaret Ann Brady, R.M.S. Titanic, 1912

Voyage on the Great Titanic by Ellen Emerson White

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read on April 28, 2012

My 9-year-old niece, Allison, is currently obsessed with the Titanic, so I picked this book up for her birthday. I thought I'd give it a quick read before I passed it along to her.

I can't say this this was the most engaging book I've ever read. Though the main character, Margaret, was well developed, I didn't necessarily feel like I got to know the other characters very well. That's not too shocking, though, for a book for this age group, and I doubt my niece will care. There was a lot of background and descriptive info on the time period and the Titanic in particular. The choice of having a lower class girl travelling with the first class passengers was a good one, as it allowed the author to showcase specific class differences at the time. Especially poignant, as always, was the gross differences in loss of life when the Titanic sank.

Overall, I think my niece will enjoy this one, and hopefully it will be a good gateway into her wanting to read more and learn more about history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Voyage on the Great Titanic.