Melanie's Reviews > A Lady by Midnight

A Lady by Midnight by Tessa Dare

I really love the 'Spindle Cove' series from Tessa Dare and 'A Lady by Midnight' is now officially my favorite. There's just something special about this little village on the coast of England filled to the brim with eccentric spinsterish-type ladies and manly militia men that screams "stop here for a good time"! This installment is slightly less fluffy than the previous offerings IMO, but it's still a lighthearted historical romance that delivers - and the gruff Corporal Thorne and Miss Kate Taylor are Spindle Cove's most exciting pairing to date.

Since first introduced to this seaside retreat, we've seen glimpses of interest from Corporal Thorne in Spindle Cove's resident music teacher Kate. Thorne is the quintessential tough soldier who keeps his feelings tightly reigned and exudes masculine authority. Having done his best to avoid the beautiful Miss Taylor during his year in Spindle Cove, he can't help but come to her rescue when she's distressed and in need. Kate's dislike of Thorne stems from his obvious attempts to avoid her, but when he helps her and makes the reason for his avoidance clear, she's starts seeing him in a whole new light. What follows is an endearing romance that includes an engagement under pretense and an illumination of a past that Kate had no idea they shared.

What I loved about Thorne was his innate quiet strength. Yet for all his strength he still feels such sad shame for his "debased" sexual interest in sweetly innocent Katie. His early years were so incredibly hard and despite this he still managed to make something of himself - yet he harbored this view that he was unworthy of anything good and clean. I really liked that Katie was able to sooth and help heal Thorne's demons - and he hers. Although this love match is devoid of any titles or standing, it still stands as Spindle Cove's best match of the season... at least for me. I can't wait to see what Dare delivers next!

12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lady by Midnight.

Tammy I can't wait to read it!

message 2: by Melanie (last edited Aug 30, 2012 03:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melanie Hope you enjoy it when you get a chance Tammy! :)

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* Lovely review, Melanie!

Melanie Thanks Carol! :)

message 5: by Carisa (new)

Carisa Great review Melanie!

Melanie Thanks Carisa! :)