Ania's Reviews > In a Sunburned Country

In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson

May 03, 12

bookshelves: australia, funny
Recommended to Ania by: the randomness of chance
Recommended for: Aussiemaniacs :)
Read from December 01, 2011 to May 03, 2012, read count: once

There are times when it feels like I've been reading this book forever. After all, I began it in Dec 2011, and here we are in May 2012. But I think it's sort of designed to be read that way. Slowly and a bit at a time, or you'll surely go crazy with the randomness of the stories.

This is of course not to say that Bill Bryson is not a good writer. He has an amazing ability to spin the most interesting stories from the most curious anecdotes he picks up along his travels. He definitely has a British-like sense of humour; dry, witty and very very funny. He also shines when he has companions on his travels, except maybe when he travelled with a friend through the Northern Territory, a chunk of the book that really should have been called "drinking our way through Australia". However, when he's alone that's when the book doesn't measure up. This is because when he is travelling alone, all you get is descriptions and more descriptions, something I really despise in books as I prefer dialogue. Also, the book could have had pictures and just generally be more visual so as to cut down on the infinity of descriptions provided.

Nonetheless, when the book shines, it really does shine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In a Sunburned Country.