Jennifer Lavoie's Reviews > Lockdown

Lockdown by Alexander Gordon Smith

May 02, 12

bookshelves: abuse, adventure, classroom-library, crime, dystopia, friends, horror, older-teens
Read from April 30 to May 01, 2012

Whoa. Another book that my students read and told me I MUST read, that I pushed off, and finally got to. Incredible. The details in the book are so explicit I felt ill at times when Alex witnessed terrible things. And by terrible, I mean things you would never even see in your worst nightmares.

Society, London society, has changed after kids go on a killing spree. The adults decide that any child who kills someone is imprisoned for life, and sent to Furnace, a new facility deep underground. There is no chance for escape. Alex, the main character, is set up for the murder of his friend and he ends up there.

I was conflicted with how I felt about some of the characters. Each person there is a murderer or has been set up for murder. But they're not good to begin with (Alex steals money from people and houses). So while I sympathized with the characters, I felt bad for doing so... but didn't at the same time. Confusing? That's how I felt!

Donovan is my favorite character. There is just something about him that really stays with you. He is probably the most innocent. While yes, he did intentionally attack someone, it was out of defense of his mother. So while it was wrong, I can't really blame him. Zee is another character that I enjoyed that offered comedic relief often.

This book is not to be missed if you enjoyed The Enemy by Charlie Higson. But warning: don't read it at night and don't read it if you have a weak stomach.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lockdown.

04/30/2012 page 84
31.0% "I keep saying it, but really this time, I won't put off books students recommend. This really IS intense..."
show 1 hidden update…