Laura's Reviews > Dark Frost

Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep

May 02, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from April 30 to May 02, 2012

Whew. What an emotional roller coaster. I probably cried more in this installment of the Mythos Academy series than I did with the other two – combined.

Jennifer Estep has taken us back to Mythos Academy in picturesque North Carolina. Only there's nothing picturesque about the scene that we find once we're there. Gwen and all her buddies are back, and still fighting for the Pantheon and against Loki and his Reapers of Chaos. Boy, do they have an uphill battle to climb. Dark Frost, the third installment, starts right where the second book left off. Gwen's been given an important task by her patron goddess – Nike herself. She must find the Helheim Dagger before the Reapers do.

As always, the characters really stuck out to me. I've said before in my reviews of Touch of Frost and Kiss of Frost that Gwen as a character really resonates with me. She's very real, and I feel connected to her. She's brave and spunky and really, just a girl. She has her doubts and her fears just like I have. And I love it.

Part of what packed such the emotional punch was some of the important scenes that played out between the characters. Gwen's exchange with Nott during the climax had me so sad, and her exchange with Nike toward the end left me with that weird feeling of part hope, part apprehension as to what is to come in the future.

One thing that I'm certainly looking forward to in the future books is the relationships between Gwen and her family and friends. All the characters have grown and matured well, and I think that shows in their relationships. Even though Gwen and Daphne have their growing pains in this novel, I think that they are stronger for it. And I know that Logan and Gwen are stronger after everything they go through and reveal to each other in this chapter of their overall story.

My one complaint for Dark Frost would have to be the minor villain. I had a pretty good idea very early on who it was, and I was right. After three books, I've finally gotten use to Estep's writing formula, so in the end, it really didn't matter. Even though the reveal of the villain wasn't a huge twist, there were definitely some jaw-droppers later on as the arcs progressed.

Jennifer Estep has done it again with another great segment in Gwen's story. The new characters introduced were fun and added a great new dimension to the book. I'm looking forward to book four, Crimson Frost when it comes out.

I received a copy of this ARC courtesy of Around the World ARC Tours and the publisher. This in no way impacted my review of this book.

Want more reviews? Check out my blog, The Traveling Owl.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Frost.

04/30/2012 page 103