Liz's Reviews > Herzog

Herzog by Saul Bellow

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: time-s-top-one-hundred
Read in April, 2012

Saul Bellow, had got to be one of the humorous authors, and his novels prove it.
Professor Herzog has lived a very strange life, and in writing hilarious letters to his companions, lovers and family his life really only gets funnier.

Favorite Quotes:

Crumbs of decency--- all that we paupers can spare one another.

The dream of man's heart, however much we may distrust and resent it, is that life may complete itself in significant pattern. Some incomprehensible way. Before death. Not irrationally but in-comprehensibly fulfilled. Spare by these clumsy police guardians, you get one last chance to know justice. Truth.

A stupendous truth you say, heard from none of the prophets, is that private life is above everything. More universiobal than religion. Truth is higher than the sun. The soul is passion. " I am the fire that consumeth" it is joy to be choked with thought.

There comes a time when every ridiculous son of Adam wishes to arise before the rest, with all his quirks and twitches and tics, all the glory of his self- adored ugliness, his grinning teeth, his sharp nose, his madly twisted reason, saying to the rest- in an overflow of narcissism which he interprets as benevolence- " I am here to witness. I am come to be your exemplar."
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Herzog.